This Saturday!!! It's Pickleball Tournament week for our Boys & Girls Club and we're excited to see some great matches and raise funds for our Organization!! Come out and support the players and Boys & Girls Club. During your down time stop by the Club to rest, play games, and grab a snack from the Kidz Café. Let's show everyone our community spirit and have some fun. See you on the courts!
Here at the Boys & Girls Club of Southeast, Alabama we try to give opportunities that youth may not otherwise receive. For no additional costs, members are able to be a part of sports leagues (flag football, baseball, basketball, soccer and pickleball), learn sewing, gardening, act in theater class, use puppets, be a part of a LEGO League and so much more! By being a part of this tournament, it will help us pour back into our quality programs for our members!
For 28 years, Boys & Girls Club of Southeast Alabama has been in the forefront of youth development. During these 28 years, the Boys & Girls Club has reached many milestones! Here are a few of our stats:
· 6 Time Recipient of the Overall Program Award for the State of Alabama
· 5 Time Recipient of the Sports, Fitness & Recreation Award for the State of Alabama
· 4 Time Recipient of the Arts Award for the State of Alabama
· 4 Time Recipient of the Education & Career Development for the State of Alabama
· 4 Time Recipient of the Character & Leadership Award for the State of Alabama
· 3 Time Recipient of the Health & Life skills Award for the State of Alabama
· 2 Time Recipient of the Board Performance Award for the State of Alabama
· 2021 Recipient of the Non-Profit Excellence Award for Ozark Area Chamber of Commerce
· 2012 Gateway Award (For highest increase in Average Daily Attendance)
· 2019 Club Advocacy Champion Award
In 2022 we provided;
· 11,732 Units of Service Hours in Character & Leadership
· 10,736 Units of Service Hours in Education & Career Development
· 9,600 Units of Service Hours in Healthy & Life Skills
· 5,120 Units of Service Hours in The Arts
· 8,320 Units of Service Hours in Sports, Fitness & Recreation
· 2,496 Units of Service Hours in Other Activities (Educational Guest Speakers, Summer Field Trips, Special Events/Holiday Parties and Educational Field Trips)
· Christmas Gifts for all members
· Annual Thanksgiving Feast for all members
· 45,500 Snacks After School
· 34,000 Dinners After School
· 20,500 Breakfast & Lunch Summer
2022 Survey Results
· 100% says the BGC is a safe place for their child
· 99% says the activities are well organized, fun and interesting
· 97% says the after-school program helps their child do better academically
· 100% says the BGC meets their needs as a parent/ guardian
· 100% says they feel safe at the BGC
· 95% says they do their homework at the BGC
· 100% says they enjoy coming to the BGC
· 100% says the staff care about them
· 94% says BGC students turn their homework in on time
· 94% says BGC students complete their homework to their satisfaction
· 93% says BGC students changed in academic performance
· 100% says BGC students go to school motivated to learn
· 100% says they know who/who to contact at the BGC
Being a part of this tournament will help us raise much needed funds to continue our success! A lot of our Club members will tell you their happiest times as a kid are made here at the Club. And YOU are helping make that possible! So, THANK YOU again!!
The Boys & Girls Club of Southeast, Alabama is known for our award winning programs!! We offer a variety of programs and activities, including academic support, sports, arts and crafts, and leadership development. These programs are designed to help young people reach their full potential and become responsible, caring citizens while in a safe and positive environment for youth to learn and grow. We are also teaching core academics and focusing on our member’s grades through the Einstein Academy Program! Through this program, member’s grades are tracked quarterly and if needed, they are placed with a one-on-one tutor to help bring up their grades. When members bring up their grades, they are being recognized when they do so (no matter what the grade is!). This past year 85% of our members improved in at least one subject. 47% of those improved in at least one letter grade!!
Each and every one of you help make this possible by being a part of this important tournament! With extra funds, we are able to hire more one-on-one tutors throughout the school year. So, THANK YOU again for playing and giving back to the Boys & Girls Club of Southeast, Alabama!
The tournament has us so excited here at the Boys & Girls Club that we started our own Pickleball team!! Club members have been learning how to play this Summer and it's been a blast!! So far, they have learned about the types of courts to play on, how to use the paddles, how to serve and of course all the do’s and don’ts! We can't wait to see the progress they make, and definitely can’t wait to see you at the tournament on Saturday, July 22 for men's and women's doubles and on Sunday, July 23, mixed doubles.
During the tournament you will see several of the Boys & Girls Club’s Jr. Leaders. The Jr. Leaders Program is not a traditional program. Members learn skills on how to run and operate a business through a unique “business opportunity”, The Kidz Café. The idea came from an existing program in partnership with All In Credit Union; Bee the Boss. Bee the Boss teaches members business principles in owning, running and managing their own business.
With the same concept in mind, the Jr. Leaders are in charge of the The Kidz Café. Jr. Leaders learn money management and organizational skills while working at the Kidz Café. They purchase items such as chips, candy bars, drinks, nachos, slushies and hot dogs. Then they learn how to price each item to make a profit. At the beginning and end of each shift, members must take inventory. Café “managers” learn how to make daily deposits at the end of each day. Members are able to choose what they’d like to do with the profits. In the past year, they have purchased game arcades for the game rooms, tables and chairs for Kidz Café, donated to the Wiregrass United Way and went on a few field trips. Jr. Leaders must also have good behavior and show teamwork to be included on field trips. Not only are Jr. Leaders learning how to manage and operate a business, but they are learning the importance of giving back to the community. They have helped with several events around town and will be at the tournament helping as well!
During the two-day tournament, stop by the Boys & Girls Club for a snack or drink from the Kidz Cafe. The Jr. Leaders will be happy to serve you!
Funds from this year's event will be used to support our mission to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. We offer a daily access to a broad range of programs in five core program areas: Character and Leadership Development; Education and Career Development; Health and Life Skills; The Arts; and Sports, Fitness and Recreation. These funds will be used to help enhance our Arts Program and Sports Program in particular. We aim to provide our members with opportunities that they may not otherwise receive, and through both of these programs, members are exposed to drama, puppetry, dance, sewing, guitar, drums, flag football, soccer, cheerleading, baseball, basketball and so much more!!